Frequently Asked Questions

Below are questions frequently asked by veterans at UCF. Click on a section heading below to expand that section’s questions and answers.

This can only be done as a chapter 33.

  1. Go to the DMDC Website and complete the Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB) form. Print and keep for your records.
  2. Once the TEB is completed, your dependent must go to VA Benefits. They will need to complete a 1990E Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) application form through the Veterans’ Online Application (VONAPP). Print and keep for your records.
  3. Once both the TEB and TOE have been completed, bring copies of these to us to finish processing.

You can update your address when you certify your hours. If you are not certifying at the time of your address change you need to notify us and you need to notify the VA by calling 1-888-442-4551.

Every semester you wish to receive benefits. Please see our forms page for the certification form.

You can be one of SIX chapters:

  • Chapter 35: You are the dependent of a veteran who is 100% permanently disabled or deceased.
  • Chapter 33: You are a veteran that has qualified for either chapter 30 or chapter 1607 benefits, or the dependent of a veteran who has qualified for either chapter 30 or chapter 1607 benefits and they have transferred their benefits to you.
  • Chapter 31: You are a veteran who has a service connected disability of at least 10% or more.
  • Chapter 30: You were, or are, active duty who has completed the initial obligation period of at least two years.
  • Chapter 1606: You are currently serving in the National Guard or the Reserves.

Your chapter will determine which forms you will need to complete or bring with you. All forms must be typed (except the checklist). Please see the forms page of our website.

The VARC will post when we will begin accepting certifications, usually 60 days before the first day of the term. You should submit your certification as soon as your schedule is finalized after that date. Dates will be posted to and to the VARC Facebook page.


The credit requirements to receive Chapter 33 BAH during the Summer Sessions are the same as the Fall and Spring Semesters. You must meet the following requirement:

  • You must be enrolled in more Credit Hours than the requirement for the Enrollment Status of 1/2 Time.

Download a pdf document that explains the Summer Certification Requirements in more detail.

You can change your direct deposit information by logging in to W.A.V.E or by calling 1-877-838-2778.

it can take up to 30 days for your direct deposit changes to become effective.

Once you have certified with the UCF Veteran Services Office (VSO) (done every semester you wish to receive benefits), you will automatically be deferred if you submit your certification by the end of drop/add week for that semester. Tuition and fee deferrals at the University of Central Florida (UCF) are automatic.

University of Central Florida (UCF) Veteran Affairs Office (VSO) can qualify you for up to a $600.00 short-term advance meant for books. You can find this form by visiting Financial Aid, and clicking “Forms,” then the respective aid year in the drop-down list. On the newly loaded website, click “Short Term Advance for Books.” Fill out the form and bring it to the UCF VSO to be approved so you can turn it in to Financial Aid.

When you filled out your application, there was a block for you to write in your financial information for direct deposit. You may also have elected to receive your benefits by mailed check. Chapter 35 is the only chapter that cannot choose to receive direct deposit. Chapter 35 receives benefits by mailed check only. If you initially set up your benefits to be sent by check, you may change to direct deposit through W.A.V.E (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment or by calling 1-877-838-2778.

Note: it can take up to 30 days for your direct deposit changes to become effective.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for the VA to process your claim once we have submitted your paperwork. Please allow 7-10 business days for our office to complete your paperwork (during peak times please allow 3 weeks).

Note: we cannot submit certifications for the following students until your tuition and fees are posted on your fee invoice:

  • All Chapter 33 students
  • Students who are on active duty
  • Graduate students
  • Students enrolled in “Less Than Half Time”

To calculate your monthly BAH:

Visit: BAH Calculator
Use UCF’s Zip Code: 32816
Pay Grade: E-5 (with Dependents)

Unfortunately, the list of benefit programs that Veteran Affairs (VA) allows you to collect along with the chapter 33 is not yet for certain. As soon as we know more information, we will post the details here.

No. You can submit your paperwork as soon as your schedule is finalized. We will date stamp your certification form when it is received and when tuition and fees are posted, we will process all certifications in the order that they were received.

If you see through your myUCF account (under “Fee Invoice”) that your tuition and fees have not been deferred, yet you already certified with the UCF Veteran Services Office, it is because Financial Aid has not updated this yet. The reason is Financial Aid does not update this to the school until after the drop/add week of the semester, at which time they determine who receives deferrals. After the drop/add week, it may take a week or two for your fee invoice to reflect your deferral date

There are many reasons why you may not have received your benefits:

  • You may not have applied for your benefits with Veteran Affairs.
    If you have not applied yet, you can apply via VA Benefits.
  • You may not have certified with the University of Central Florida (UCF) Veteran Services Office (VSO).
    If this is the case, you will need to visit our forms page and submit the proper paperwork.
  • You may have certified with UCF VSO within 30 days of the start of the semester.
    You may not have submitted your paperwork early enough to be fully processed. Generally, your paperwork is processed by the UCF VSO within 5-7 business days. If your paperwork was submitted near the beginning of the semester, please allow two weeks for the UCF VSO to process. After we submit your certification to Veteran Affairs (VA), it may take the VA 6-8 weeks to process your paperwork.
  • Have you recently changed your direct deposit information or mailing address?
    If you have, it will take some time for Veteran Affairs to process the change. If you receive your benefits by check, the check may have been sent to your old address. If you receive your benefits by direct deposit, Veteran Affairs may have tried to make a deposit in your previous account.


Contact us to find out if the course(s) you are taking have been approved by the Veteran Affairs (VA) State Approving Agency (SAA).

The VA will pay for any course you take that falls under your degree program; minors and certificate programs included.

In order to certify here with the Veteran Services Office (VSO), you need to make sure the classes you are taking at the transient school will count as credit toward your degree at the University of Central Florida (UCF). Go toFlorida Virtual Campus and complete the online Transient Student Form. You will receive an email confirming the courses at your transient university can be credited to your degree here at UCF. Print out the confirmation email and turn in to the UCF VSO along with your certification form. You will also need to contact the Certifying Official at the school where you are taking your transient classes in order for them to submit that enrollment to the VA.

At the end of the semester, you will need to send/turn-in your transcripts from the transient institution to UCF or you will not be able to receive veteran benefits the following semester.